2001: A Time Odyssey
Thu Jan 16 2003 11:39PM -0600
I had a most unexpected dream last night, about someone I
haven't thought about in quite some time. (And believe me, even if
you do know me, it's not anyone you would expect.) I wonder
where she is now, and what she's doing. Ah well. I suppose it
happened because I have been reading "Solaris" by Stanislaw
Lem (yes, the book that is the basis for that movie that George Clooney
is in.) Sorry for the spoilers that follow, but, well, too bad.
All of this is pretty much on the book's back cover anyway, and in
the movie trailer too. Anyway, essentially, the main character
finds himself reunited with his long dead wife in a space station.
So there. Not that I was ever married to this woman I dreamt of.
But, well, anyway.
At the insistence of Ben, I have revisited 2001, musically
speaking. After we graduated from college in 1998, me and my
friends started this tradition of
creating personal CDs that reflected how our year went. The last
time that all of us actually did this was in 2000, but I suppose the attempt
should at least be made.
Without further ado. Explanation will be made available when I
feel like it.
- Yellow Coldplay Missed opportunities. L.A., S.F.,
Chicago. RIP DNA. Feb 14, May 16, Sep 22.
- Airbag Radiohead I'm back to save the universe. Ah,
stale Oreos. Oct
- The Last Day of Summer The Cure To wound the autumnal
city. Sep 11,
Sep 22, Jan 09 ('02), Jan 10 ('02).
- Never Had A Dream Come True S Club 7 It's painfully
obvious, isn't it? Fate goes where it will. Feb 25.
- It Is You (I Have Loved) Dana Glover Almost. Not every
ogre finds someone to love. Jul 31, Jan 05 ('02).
- You Take My Breath Away (Lange Mix) Surreal Ah, the
wastelands of the Midwest. The beauty of beer and cigarettes.
Flamin' Red Hot Cheetos and Diet Coke, the Breakfast of Champions.
- Clint Eastwood Gorrilaz All I need is sunshine, and I
might just conquer the world!!! Dec 05 ('00), Jan 26, Oct 14, Nov 15
- Lucha de Gigantes Nacha Pop I am always leaving the ones
I care about behind. Jul 31, Sep 22
- Hanging by a Moment Lifehouse There is no time like now.
Jul 31, Aug 02, Aug 04
- Island in the Sun Weezer Hip-hip! Aug 02.
- I'm Real J-Lo On the 6. Aug 04
- H.O.V.A. (H to the IzzO)(Remix) Jay-Z featuring Snoop
Dogg Miami. Oct
- You Can't Deny It Fabulous featuring Nate Dogg Of
Libras, misunderstandings and miscommunications, and one crazy
night in November. Nov 21.
- My Love Goes Deeper Nelly Furtado San Diego. Oct 24.
- Damaged (Cage Remix) Plummet Alone in the dark winter of
- When I Look at the World U2 Backwards and Forwards. I
should've known better, really, and still I regret. Feb 14, Feb 23.
- By Your Side (Ben Watt Remix) Sade I know Aimee put this
on her 2000 CD, but here comes the remix.